Elder Scadden

Elder Scadden

Where's Gregory?

Where's Gregory?
Gregory is now home.
This is a moderated BLOG. Gregory does not make posts nor does he read or monitor this BLOG. His family maintains it for him.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Once upon a time in Albania (July 13th, 2009)

Hello all from Albania!

Another week already? That is ridiculous… The weeks just fly by here! Especially this week, Elder Hamilton and I were blessed with an outstanding week. Now, in missionary work there are numbers, and we are instructed not to measure our success by numbers, but at the same time if our numbers are really bad we need to take accountability for them, and find out if we can do something better. We measure numbers with Key Indicators: Investigators baptized/ confirmed; investigators with a baptismal date; investigators who attended Sac Mtg.; Lessons taught to investigators with a member (member lessons); other lessons; progressing investigators; referrals received and contacted; new investigators; retention lessons; and contacts (for our mission a contact is a phone number or a way to easily get in touch with the person again). Usually numbers up here in Shkoder look like this: 0,0,0,0,0,10,1,0,0,4,5,10. That’s normal, average, maybe even slightly below average, but a total of 15 lessons is rather normal. However, Elder Hamilton and I, with the strength and direction of the Lord, got these: 0,0,0,0,0,17,2,0,0,10,9,14 making a total of 26 lessons, that is fantastic!!! Now we have made some goals and adjustments to our way of doing things to outperform even this week. We work so excellently together, and he really is one of the best missionaries in the mission. But, like I said before that numbers do not measure real success, or even effort.

Right now Toni continues to be the only investigator who has real promise, he is a pretty awesome guy, and we are praying hard for him. Hopefully we can teach him again tonight. Anyway, I am super stoked to be working with Elder Hamilton. Usually the first week in a new companionship tends to be a slower week with less measurable success, but we totally shot down that stereotype. I hope this is an indicator of increased success in Shkoder. However let us all remember that No Effort Is Wasted, even if nothing immediate appears from them.

So the Shkoder district has a new game of preference for entertainment: Settlers of Catan! Kristin, you especially probably appreciate this. We have great fun playing it, it is much better than 5 crown, cuz that’s too simple of a game, and its better than phase 10 cuz phase 10 makes me miss Lauren Ken Jay Susan and Jenni too much. Once Elder Hamilton and I split up I might have to get yall to send it to me, but don’t worry about it now. Ah, and Elder Hamilton is the only missionary I’ve encountered who is willing to play Blink with me LOL you had better watch out Jenni my girl, I might not actually be that rusty when I get home!... then again, I probably won’t have another comp that is interested in playing, so I probably will come home pretty slow, you will again be able to bask in a 10 to 1 win lose ratio….

So it sounds like 4th of July was blast for everyone!!!! I am jealous! The thing I miss most about home next to people (family, future wife, friends etc.) is FOOD! Dad gave me a detailed report about what was eaten, and Jenni mentioned somethings from her end as well. My mouth was watering. Oh how I miss good home cooking, with good ingredients and good company. Food here is not tons different, to be honest, it is just drastically lower quality. Oh well, I am a spoiled ethnocentric American, what can you expect? On a rare occasion, when we get on the subject of food, I wonder what meal I’d like to have first upon arrival home. I have concluded that I’ll just have to choose at random, because there are SO

Oh, a Shout out to Richard and Matthew getting their mission calls! How exciting! Santa Rosa CA and Denver CO! That is awesome! Isn’t Jordon Smith in Denver CO also? The MTC is a pretty awesome place, just have a positive attitude about it. When do yall deploy? And Matthew, sorry I have not written you back yet, there is VERY LITTLE time to write letters on P-days it seems, especially when it is not your companions priority to write anyone, but thanks for the letter, hopefully I’ll get one to you before you leave.

When I heard I was coming to Shkoder I thought it would be the space of weeks before I would get mail, but it seems every week there is some reason that someone has to come up here or we have to go down there. It is very nice! I am also very blessed that I have people that will write me letters. BTW how is my friend Caitlin doing? Does anyone know?

Well, that is all for this week, I hope it was sufficient! I love you all very much, I miss you all, but this is the Lords work, and He is helping me to go about it as best I can. Everyday I see His hand mercifully extend to me. You all are in my prayers, and I think you for remembering me in yours! May God be with you all.

With Love
Elder Scadden

No comments:

Post a Comment