Elder Scadden

Elder Scadden

Where's Gregory?

Where's Gregory?
Gregory is now home.
This is a moderated BLOG. Gregory does not make posts nor does he read or monitor this BLOG. His family maintains it for him.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Chronicles from Albania (June 1st ALREADY?)

Hello from Albania!

I’d just like to tell you all that I love you, I really do! Also I’d like to shout out to Kristin Happy Birthday! I know it’s a tad early, but I’d rather be early than late. You are 27 now? Edhe Nje Qind! (or rather, And a Hundred! Its what you say after someone tells you their age).

This weekend we had the amazing blessing of being instructed by an Apostle of the Lord! I also got to shake his hand several times LOL. However, before I talk about the awesome stuff, let me get the disappointing things out of the way. Only 2 members came from our branch, we had 4 non-members, that is sad, 2 of them aren't even investigators (though they might become that!). I did just write a long explanation, but I remember that we discouraged from writing home about problems or bad things about the area. Lets leave it that the scriptures truly say that those who have been opened to greater light fall further than those who have never had it when they revert again to sin, and become more strong opponents against the church. It makes me sad.

Anyway, Elder Christofferson! It was just an amazing experience! So many words of advice were shared with us Missionaries as we had a personal mission conference with him. 2 things stood out to me that I can remember right now. First, addressed a concern I have been having about my success as a missionary. He said “Never judge your success based on a hour, a day, or a mission… the effects of your efforts will not be known to you this life, no effort is wasted!” It was good to hear that, even though I already kind of knew that. All I must do is work, and hard, and think nothing of the fruits of my labor! I simply hope that I am working hard enough, but as my Bro-in law John shared with me today in an email, I should not even wonder that, and just work. Haha I am ALWAYS so amazed by the simplicity of the gospel! It is so straightforward! There is no secret, no elusive strategy to living it correctly, or even to missionary work. As we at least continue to strive to improve we will be good missionaries and good members of the church!

To the members most of the talks were about not getting offended, about loving and serving each other. It was really important for the members to hear that, since here the church takes heavy damage in active membership because people allow themselves to be offended.

Oh the other thing that I pulled away for myself was about the Charity question I asked last week. It is truly amazing how the Lord facilitates the answer to prayers in the most unexpected ways, like sending a great man to speak to such a small group of missionaries. Again, the answer is simple and I already knew it, and it is prayer. In Moroni 7 we are commanded to pray for Charity, and with all the energy of heart at that. I do want to thank every one's insights that you sent me as well, prayer was key to them all, just with a few extra suggestions that I also find helpful.

Prayer is so powerful, a petition before our Lord made in honest sincerity has more power than we can imagine! And yes, I will be getting a picture that has me in it with Elder Christofferson, but it also has the other members of my branch in it. I must say, he was so very willing to take tons and tons of pictures with people, his coming was truly a great blessing.

This is completely random, but about CDs, the ones that I have that are burned, they do actually work on Elder Flacks CD player, it is just because the batteries were dying that they didn't work LOL!!!! I got Come Thou Fount, the latest CD from MoTab that has American folks songs on it. Awesome CD, Amazing Grace is also now one of my most favorite songs, I’ll probably have to have it played at my funeral too,

Dad asked why the slippers are such an important part of our lives here as missionaries. Well, Albania is a dusty, dirty country. They burn their garbage in the middle of the cities during the night, and also ALL the buildings are made out of extremely low quality concrete, which is the main source of the dust. Well, out houses are not immune from the dust and the dirt, and we usually have windows open, so we walk around in slippers to keep from getting dirty or cold (since there are no carpets either, just tile, though some Albanians have carpets). If we were to walk around in socks they would be covered in dust in about 2 minutes, I've tried.

Christ is my Savior, and I testify that our prayers to the father, whether they be for knowledge or help, or other such blessings, will all be answered according to our faith. I miss you all, God be with you!

Love
Elder Scadden

No comments:

Post a Comment