Elder Scadden

Elder Scadden

Where's Gregory?

Where's Gregory?
Gregory is now home.
This is a moderated BLOG. Gregory does not make posts nor does he read or monitor this BLOG. His family maintains it for him.

Monday, April 13, 2009

O Familian Ime, Gezohuni!!

(Here are excerpts from Gregory's latest emails)

Pershindetie from Albania!! I do not know what you all might know, since I believe president Neil sent an "Elder Scadden is alive" email to you all, hope you got it and haven't been wondering.
Well, here's the big news: They have Ice cream in Albania!!! You have no idea how happy that makes me, and it is super cheap for a decent amount. Don't worry, I'll try to not eat it but every few days.

So where does everyone think I am serving? Well, It was the last place I thought I'd be assigned, I am excited and honored to be serving in Shkodur!!!! Wow!!! I did not expect that to be where I'd go. It is the farthest city north, and apparently they talk funny up here, but I seem to be able to understand ok, which is actually almost nothing. My trainer is Elder Flack, he is a very cool individual, and I am already learning a great deal from him. He has 9 months in the country, and only 6 weeks in shkodur, but the members already knew him alright by the time I showed up.

So about Shkodur, it is beautiful here, except for today because it is raining, but the rain is refreshing since it wouldn't stop snowing in that wretched desert valley out west. There is actually water in the air, I can hydrate by breathing again! I am drinking plenty though, fear not! Our living quarters are quite nice, and we are on the bottom floor which will be great for the hot summer months. Its a smaller city, unlike Tirana which was quite large (nothing like Cairo except for the smell, it was so good to smell tons of diesel in the air again!). Here the people seem to be much more spiritually minded than in the other cities of Albania because of the large mosques and the giant catholic church they have here (it is the largest church building in all of the Balkans). There are 4 of us elders here, Myself, elder Flack, Elder Smeldey(who was in the mtc with me!) and elder Suell (he has a year and 6 months in country). From anywhere in the city you can see the amazing mountains, much bigger than the Appalachians and far less barren than the Rockies, I'd say it is a nice mixture of both.

The branch here is very young, the city has only been opened for a year and a half, and recently there have been tons of new converts, but along with that comes all the growing pains of a young and small branch. Most of the members are dirt poor. All have a lot to learn about the gospel, but it is great regardless of the problems that seem to be present, I have a great deal of hope for this little branch. However, because there are so many new members, we do spend a good chunk of time doing member retention lessons, so we have less time we can spend finding and teaching new investigators, but most of the time when we do a retention lesson the members have friends over, and already we have received some new investigators because of this.

So the language is hard, who would have thought? I don't understand very much of what is said, and I'm pretty much kot in a lesson. I do always try to bear my testimony or share a thought. I really enjoy trying to talk to the members during muhabet (thats small talk) and I've actually had some pretty good conversations. One day I will speak this language! On Sunday I had the opportunity to bear my testimony. I tried to express what I was feeling and thinking at the time (dealing with staying firm and never losing the faith) and I conveyed the message, but I really slaughtered what I was trying to say grammatically. Oh well, the members understood. They tell me I sound like I am from Thropoja (probably since most of them are also from Thropoja). Its a town in the far north near the boarder of Kosovo, and there they talk deeply. That's the only reason why. I probably have a horribly strong American accent. Often the members will ask me a question, and I just have a blank stare, so they turn to elder Flack, who usually will translate it for me. Its frustrating because I do not want to members to stop trying to talk to me because I can't understand a lot of what they say. Avash Avash! Somehow I will learn this language!

So when I showed up in Tirana we were well taken care of by President and Sister Neil and the assistants. I already had mail from Jenni and Kristin waiting for me. a nice surprise. President Neil has a vision called the Korab project, it is to see a stake in Albania by the summer of 2011. I think it is very possible. The core branches in Tirana are doing well, some of them are extremely solid, but everywhere there is a problem with inactivity! We need more Melchizedek priesthood holders to see this vision come to past. It can happen though.

A short story. An old Gjagji came up and started to talk to us about the gospel. At first he seemed normal. Then we realized his was crazy. Unfortunately, as Elder Flack walked away, the guy, I thought, asked to use my pen, so I handed it to him. He said "rrofsh america!" and walked off with it......... He ninjaed my pen. I am still not over it. Oh well, never lend people anything unless you actually know their intentions.

Anyway, I love you all and miss you, but the work is keeping me very busy and I am quite happy, despite the jet lag I am suffering. This place is awesome, very awesome! Take care, God be with you all!!

Love Elder Scadden
.............

Here in Albanian there is an Easter tradition called Cherast ing and it means to treat, and whenever you enter someones house they give you food and drink. This week I've gotten like 7 painted eggs... I don't really need that many.

P-day is Monday, I have an hour to read and write emails.

Yes, I can't get my hair cut short :(

No comments:

Post a Comment